Monday, December 01, 2008

Wake-Up Call

So, I got assigned to drive an LMTV from Camp Manhattan, right on the Euphrates, to the Combat Outpost we were setting up near Ar Ramadi. It was an easy run, but for some reason, we ended up having to stay the night. There were about four of us driving the trucks, and a Humvee with one of the sergeants in it. It was kind of a pain in the ass sleeping in the trucks, especially for a guy my size, but it was better than being back at Manhattan, where the rest of the platoon was undoubtedly being pimped out on random work assignments so Lt. Nelson could look good for the CO.

Anyway, the night went by uneventfully, and, come morning, I got woken up by Dyer, telling me that the cooks had breakfast up. I pulled my head back under the blanket. It was a toss-up which was gonna be worse, chow cooked in primitive conditions, or an MRE.

Not a minute later, a mortar landed in the middle of the Outpost. About fifteen meters away from my truck.

'Jesus Christ!', I thought. 'All right, I'm up, I'm up...'

No comments: