Wednesday, December 10, 2008

There She Is

I like animation. Enjoy Studio Ghibli, loved The Incredibles, and Akira, and I've seen enough of Spike and Mikes Festival of Animation to want to check out each new one I hear about.

So I was pretty happy, a couple of days ago, when my perusal of the Intarwebs brought me to the site of a little gem called 'There She Is'. Its' the story of what happens when bunny falls in love with a cat. Not a girl from Playboy and a beatnik, but a rabbit and a feline.

The animation itself is a deceptively simple, anime style. A little on the cutesy side, but that's not a strike against it, especially as the true depth of the story unfolds. The hero, Nabi the cat, and heroine, Doki the rabbit, are drawn in a quite basic style, and it speaks to the skill of the creator that each shade of emotion is readily apparent for both of them, and the world they inhabit.

The story starts of quite simply, with Doki becoming enamored of Nabi, and follows them from their first meeting, through Doki's pursuit and Nabi's acceptance, and then begins to show how the wider world responds to the realtionship of these two disparate types. Each of the four available chapters of their story gives increasing depth to both of the protagonists and the world they share, all while eschewing any dialogue in favor of action and appropriate music.

'There She Is' is a gem of story-telling. The fourth chapter ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, and the fifth is not, as I write, available, but I find myself checking the website daily to see if it has. I'd urge you to take a bit of time to watch one or two, and as none of the four currently viewable are more than six minutes long, it is more than worth the time to experience them.

There She Is
http://www.sambakza.net/amalloc/tteotta_main.htm

No comments: